Saturday 1 August 2009

Sighting of the Welsh bigfoot Brenin Llwyd?


This article appeared last year and was widely thought to a hoax:

Mystery creature caught on camera

April 3 2008 by Dominic Jones, Gwent Gazette

A TERRIFIED Gazette reader captured these amazing snaps of a mysterious “ape-like” animal roaming a Tredegar woodland. Gwyn Weeks, aged 63, of Page Street, Tredegar was embarking on one of his regular trips to walk his dog around the lake at St James Park when he spotted something strange lurking in the woods. Mr Weeks said he could see something moving through the trees on the other side of the lake. Retired steelworker Mr Weeks said: “It sent a shiver up my spine, my dog started barking, you could have knocked me down with a feather.” Quick-thinking Mr Weeks immediately pulled out his mobile phone to capture the creature on film. He said: “My eyesight is not so good now so I zoomed in to have a look and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. At first I thought it might be one of those panthers you hear about round here, but it was more like a bear, it was quite ape-like. It could have been a yeti!” The unbelievable 10-second clip shows an animal resembling a gorilla appearing to forage for food before briefly standing on two legs and disappearing into the trees quickly. Mr Weeks said he was glad he captured the footage as he feared no-one would believe his amazing encounter. He said: “I was out of my wits with fear, I jumped back in my car and was out of there in a flash. Some people I’ve shown the film to reckon its a wind-up but at the end of the day I know what I saw.” Tredegar Crime and Disorder Reduction Officer Tony Davies said he was unsurprised by the reports and police would be looking into the matter. Pc Davies said: “We take reports of yetis quite seriously. “The neighbourhood policing team will be upping their patrols and will do their best to persuade the yeti to go elsewhere.”

source : http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/blaenau-gwent/2008/04/03/mystery-creature-caught-on-camera-91466-20698605/


It is interesting however that there are legends of a grey bigfoot like creature in Wales:

The Brenin Llwyd (Grey King) is said to inhabit the mountains of Snowdonia in Wales. Reports of its appearance vary. It is sometimes described merely as a "presence", but it has also been reported to be large, hairy, man-like creature. It is similar to the Big Grey Man of Scotland, which is considered by some to be a flesh and blood creature, and by others to be a spirit or trick of the atmospheric conditions on the mountain.


An interesting take on the Welsh wildman is here :

http://manbeastuk.blogspot.com/2009/05/welsh-wild-men-part-2.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i normally read things like this and think hoax but me being friends with this guy shocked me.

Unknown said...

Had one throw a very large stick at me in the woods in New Tredegar around 2AM in the morning. 100% real

Gary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.